Friday, March 23, 2012

Essential 11 -- Winter 2012

In my efforts to make the essential 11 a monthly feature, I included some songs that I liked, but were already ubiquitous.  What's the point in that?  So I decided to dial down the frequency of this post and concentrate on songs that are really good and really need to be played more.  So We Are Young by Fun won't be on this list.

1. Little Talks --     Of Monsters and Men  In the wake of Arcade Fire, there's a bunch of groups out there that look more like hippie communes than rock bands.  This one can play real good and star in weird music videos.

2. Fire Escape -- Civil Twilight  Tense little burner of a song.  Why this isn't burning up the charts is beyond me.

3.I Like It -- Foxy Shazam The bastard son of "Fat Bottom Girls" and "Brown Sugar".  Totally over the top tastelessness and I like it.  Freddie Mercury would be proud.

4. Baby Came Back -- Bush  This is definitely my month for guilty pleasures.  I hated this band in the 90's and still hate their 90's stuff for the most part.  This song, however, rocks hard and has

5. Hold On -- Alabama Shakes  Doesn't sound like much at the beginning, but boy does it build.

6. Simple Song -- The Shins  Come on.  You don't think I'll leave them off.  Huge, majestic melody.

7. Comeback Kid -- Sleigh Bells  Their songcraft is improving. Their combination of electronica and dirty guitar is unbeatable.

8. California -- Delta Spirit  A rollicking, upbeat breakup song.  How do they do that?

9. Disparate Youth -- Santagold  Makes the most of a very unusual time signature -- sort of reggae on 3 cans of Red Bull.    

10.  When I Write My Master's Thesis -- John K. Samson  Literate pop punk from Toronto.  All about the twilight zone of post graduate education!

11. Afterlife -- Switchfoot  Proof that the devil doesn't have all the great hard rock bands.

No comments:

Post a Comment